Saturday, March 01, 2008

If you do a lot of CAD work, reduce neck tension with a Monitor Arm


If you do a lot of CAD work, your can significantly reduce neck tension by replacing your flat panels legs with a Single Mount Monitor Arm. I tried one here at EngineerSupply with my 22" LCD Widescreen and my neck felt just fine after 10 hours of work. I wish I had purchased a monitor rm years ago. It's pretty simple, once you get the arm, you assemble it using either the grommet base, or the clamp base, both types are included with the ESI brands of arms. You screw the grommet type to your desk or work surface, or you use the clamp type if you don't want to drill holes in your surface. The ESI hardware is very heavy and thick which makes for a sturdy mount. Plus, they include all sorts of bolts, and allen wrenches. Also included are wire holders that mount underneath each arm, and they hold the wires and hide them which makes the appearance very neat!

Then, once the pole is secured, its very sturdy, you then slide the monitor arm down and clamp it at the height you want it. The arm I use holds my monitor up much higher than the factory base or stand it came with, which is stored in my closet for later use if I ever decided to mount my monitor back on its' factory stand. Then, once the arm is up, you can rotate, turn, tilt, and put the monitor in literally ANY position. I put my monitor up higher than normal so the middle of my monitor is almost at eye height since this seems to make my neck the straightest and most comfortable. I was very surprised at my higher energy level and mood when going home the first day I used the monitor arm! I highly recommend a monitor arm. I know I'll never work on a flat screen LCD again without one. Remember, if you want to mount two monitors, buy the dual-arm version. Same goes for three monitors, you should buy the three-arm version.