Friday, December 14, 2007

Surveyor Brush Axes

We now have Surveyor Brush Axes which make quick work out of clearing a line of sight for surveying. I have worn many a blister on my hands using one of these. When I was an instrument man, I usually had what we called a "briar blade" (which is the Ditch Bank Blade that we sell) in one hand, the tripod (with mounted total station) on my shoulder in the other hand, a radio on one hip, a canteen on one hip, and a compass around my neck.

I first started surveying, I quickly learned from watching the Party Chief that had been surveying for 25 years. He walked at a good pace through the woods and would alternate the axe from hand to hand (remember he had me behind him carrying the tripod) and would hit small branches and trees at just the right speed, angle and height, and it seemed like effortless motions for him. I guess after 25 years you get really good at what you do for a living and I can certainly say he had taken brush chopping to a new level.

Carrying a brush axe while surveying proved to have many uses, such as, killing snakes, poking in the ground for corner pins and markers, balancing your way through a creek while stepping on rocks, and once I remember the axe was something we had in our possession when an angry land owner (with his 12 guage double-barrel) approached us down in the woods. He had the idea that we were trespassing when his brother had failed to tell him the farm was going to be surveyed.

Theres my story about brush axes. I imagine many of you can relate.