Monday, February 09, 2009

Reflective Safety Vests

About a week ago, I took some sample products home to test and use to see how they worked (or not). One of the sample products I had brought home was a Reflective Surveying Safety Vest by Seco (Seco brand products are usually awesome and quality made). I was going to walk our dog early this morning and decided to slip the safety vest on and see how well the reflective material would work. I was surprised at what I found happen. It was very early this morning before the sun had come up and people leaving their homes headed for work were driving down our street. To my amazement, they would slow way down, much slower than I've ever seen traffic on our street. Usually they fly by without much regard to anyone walking and seem to forget about the pedestrian has the right-of-way idea. With the reflective safety vest on, they began slowing down far in advance, which made it a very nice walk. I felt much safer with their slower speeds, but also realized that a new safety vest, one that is to the latest safety requirements, really made the difference in my dog and I being safe while walking. The vest worked so well I am now considering walking our dog before the sun comes up just so I can benefit from traffic using their headlights. It was safer walking in the dark than it was in the day time, due to the reflective strips on the safety vest! I would recommend that Land Surveying Company owners invest in safety vests for their surveying crews that meet newer safety requirements. Investing in your employees safety is not only important, but it helps protect your business from losing an employee and hopefully against law suits.